The hardest part of this project was figuring out what to do. Each of the members of my group had very different ideas. And we found that we were really good at thinking of techniques, but not of actual story ideas and characters.
This week there was a lot of pressure to come up with a big idea. And I definitely buckled under it. To help me come up with ideas I started with Bill Buxton’s 10 plus 10 system. It was helpful. Nonetheless, after a lot of thinking, I’m still not completely in love with any of my proposals, but hopefully one of them will evolve into something that I do love. Here goes:
Recently the satellite DSCOVR started sending back multiple images of Earth per day and Nasa has begun sharing them online as they have come in. This is momentous. Although many don’t realize it, there are few photos of Earth as a whole from afar. The images, found at epic.gsfc.nasa.gov, are spectacular.
I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to build this week. I had originally wanted to bring back the psychedelic chandelier idea. I wanted to use the vinyl cutter for this. I tried a few times to find someone on the floor who could help me with the vinyl cutter, but I didn’t have much success. I know I could have cut the vinyl by hand, but I wasn’t completely sold on the idea, so didn’t feel it was worth buying all the materials if I wasn’t going to learn a new tool with the project.
I installed the kombucha chandelier at home this weekend. The chandelier hangs on a thin wall (about 3′ wide) in the kitchen/dining room from two chains about two inches off the wall. Here are some photos.
Our assignment this week was to use the DOM library of P5js. I’ve been wanting to integrate HTML and CSS into my ICM work for a while, so I was surprised at how frustrating I found this assignment.
I had a lot of fun working on this lab. It’s nice to see the Arduino input really come to life. I had a few questions.